Saturday, May 12, 2007

Tom-room: Campus life (cross-link & review)

This post cross-links to Tomoko's solid start on her "Campus life" essay, Tom-room: Campus life. I made the link and started a draft automatically by clicking on the "link to this" link at the foot of her post.

As I've suggested in a comment on her post, it is a good idea to include blank lines between paragraphs. The white spaces that you create by typing two returns at the end of each paragraph make it easy for readers to see where one topic ends and the next one begins.

It is also important to develop each topic into a paragraph of two or more sentences. A good way to figure out what to add to build a topic sentence into a paragraph is to ask yourself information questions as you write. Then you can add your answers to each paragraph or stub that you've started.

For example: Here are few topics from Tomoko's essay, and some example questions that she could ask herself as she revises and extends her essay:
  • Parking:
    • Where do I usually park my bicycle?
    • What if that space is full?
  • Blogging:
    • When do I make time to blog?
    • What do I do to get comfortable before I start blogging?
    • How do I feel when I finish a draft or a post?
  • Other activities
    • Where do I like to do them?
    • With whom?

1 comment:

  1. For additional examples of questions to promote essay revision and topic development, please review my comment on Mari's My Campus Life essay.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...