I'm also embedding a Google Video version of the same movie for comparison, here:
Wednesday, October 31, 2007
I'm also embedding a Google Video version of the same movie for comparison, here:
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
America isn't a country. In fact, there are three Americas - and each comprises a large region: North America, Central America, & South America. All in all, they include about 55 countries and territories. Take your pick!
For a list of those countries and territories, please see the Ethnologue country index: Languages of the Americas webpage.
Image used in accordance with the copyright holder's
Sunday, October 28, 2007
- The second essay assignment, for individual essays on your favorite places, like the first joint essay assignment, called for you to post your completed essays on your own blogs, this time by October 26 (Writing Studio Calendar), where they will be available for general reviewing and commentary by your classmates and peers.
However, you should make sure that you have posted your complete essay on your blog, and used the label "essays" (and maybe "favorites", too) to make certain that your essay will be easy for everyone to find.
Friday, October 26, 2007
... to sit and think
My back yard is my favorite place to sit and think. I’d like to explain what it looks like and why I like sitting there. My backyard has a garden, a composter and a small patch of grass. It is surrounded by a hedge. It is a quiet place to sit and think.
There is a hedge around the back yard. The hedge is getting quite thick and very tall, because I didn’t trim it this summer. I’m going to wait till winter to trim it, because I enjoy sitting and thinking in the yard more than working on the hedge. The hedge keeps the yard quiet and peaceful.
The garden in the back yard has three parts. First there is a narrow flower bed along the veranda. It is about 45 centimeter wide, and runs the whole length of the veranda. At one end is a large aloe plant. The nearest bed also holds annual flowers.
Then there is a larger flower bed on the side. In it, there is a cherry tree growing on one side, a climbing rose bush in the middle, and a hydrangea at the other side. In between are various plants and flowers. That is the biggest part of the garden
Along the back of the back yard, but along one side only, is another small patch of garden. There were strawberry plants growing in it earlier this year, but most of them died! Maybe the compost that I used to feed them was too strong.
There is a composter in the back yard, which decomposes lawn and garden refuse. It also decomposes kitchen waste. The composter is large and black. It sits in the far corner of the back yard next to the hedge. There the smell, if any, won't reach the house. The composter works very quietly.
The lawn is my favorite part of the back yard. I've planted grass, and reseeded almost every year since starting to work on the back yard. The lawn is thick and green, but still thin around the edges which don't get much sunlight. I need to reseed again right away.
What I like most about thebackyard is sitting on the veranda and listening to the grass grow. At least, that is what I tell people who interrupt my meditation there. At night, I also enjoy listening to the worms in the lawn, and the stars, planets, and comets in the sky. If my mind is quiet, and my eyes remain open, I can see and hear many of them.
Thursday, October 25, 2007
This is a snippet from the classroom display on October 24 (formatting transferred from Word is problematic):
Continue counting words and attaching word counts to every post (August '07 - January '08).
Review Writing Resources
Use that model for your 2nd essay:
About your (own) favorite place(-s)
Create an outline (in Word).
Write a complete first draft:
Five or more paragraphs, including:
Introductory paragraph (1)
Body paragraphs (3+)
Concluding paragraph (1); with:
Five or more sentences per paragraph; &
At least 300 words
Post your draft essay on your blog by Oct. 26.
Space between paragraphs
Use returns only at the end of headings or paragraphs.
At the end of paragraphs, use two returns.
Include a word count.
Add the class-wide label "essays" (with an "a" and an "s"!)
Check gmail for messages.
Check your blog for comments.
Check the Writing Studio Blog for announcements.
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Note: I added the "?alt=rss" bit to the end of the default feed, because the add a feed tool in the Blogger layout preview didn't recognize the default feed address.
All you need to do to add a recent comments feed to your sidebar is:
- Replace "[YourBlogURL]" in the recipe above with your complete blog URL, starting with the "http://..." part;
- Open your Blogger Dashboard;
- Click on the "Manage: ... Layout" link in your Dashboard;
- Click on "Add a Page Element" link in the sidebar preview;
- Click on the "Add To Blog" button for the Feed tool;
- Paste in your comment feed URL; then
- Click "Continue" to fine-tune the feed settings!
Friday, October 19, 2007
... no, bicycle -
... no, more precisely, -
... my bicycle seat!
* That line may be from a song performed by Nicollete Larson (Wikipedia). Though I haven't been able to track down the song or lyrics, in addition to the Wikipedia stub (above), I have found an online biography covering her musical career.
Tuesday, October 16, 2007
|Months ||08 ||09 ||10 ||11 ||12 ||01 ||Totals ||fn ||Indices |
Before you save your new post, please be sure to add the label, "portfolios" (plural), to it.
You, too, can Springdoo.
Oops, I forgot to enable the video cam. before making the recording! Well, you can still hear the reminder if your headphones or speakers are on.
Sunday, October 14, 2007
Other styles, skins, themes, backgrounds, music, and effects are available from Slide.com, if you become a registered user. You can even post slide shows directly to your Blogger blog!
Friday, October 12, 2007
Thursday, October 11, 2007
- Course calendar: Please check it regularly (and add it to your own Google Calendar).
- Texts: Though many are not in a traditional, paper-and-ink format, please remember that there are lots of texts for Writing III-IVc:
- Classmates & peers blogs,
- The Writing Studio Blog,
- The Writing Studio Wiki,
- The orange book (reading log),
- Selected library readings, &
- WinK Bookmarks in Ma.gnolia.
A list of previous typing speed trial topics appears in the yellow box on the right side of the Writing Studio Wiki. Likewise, Tomei's Typing Tools, listed with other online typing practice tools in the sidebar on the left side of the wiki, also displays a range of possible topics with clicks on a button.
After reviewing those topics, please post new topic suggestions in comments on this blog post - the more, the merrier!
Wednesday, October 10, 2007
Kumamoto essays: Information questions and answers [classwork]
- Preview three or more essays - not outlines - in blogs DOWN list (Writing Studio Wiki, §2.3).
- Ask information questions about essays, or suggest additional information for those essays, in three or more blogs UP list in comments on those blogs.
- Check your own essay for incoming information questions [and suggestions].
Kumamoto essays: Responses and revisions [classwork]
- Answer questions from comments in comments on your own blog.
- Transfer information from answers in ALL comments to ONE of your group member's essays.
- Reorganize and revise all individual essays, as necessary, to suit additional information from comments on all group members' essays.
Kumamoto essays: [homework]
- Add finishing touches to your individual essays.
- Add links (3 minimum).
- Add photos (3 minimum).
- Add other media:
- videos, or
- voice recordings.
For further information, please review:
- The Group Thing: Mega-Essay Project (1.2);
- The Group Thing: Mega-Essay Project (1.1); &
- The Group Thing: Mega-Essay Project (1).
Before next Wednesday (Oct. 17), please compile all of your typing speed trial results for the past three weeks (Sept. 26, Oct. 3, & Oct. 10) in the most complete attachment that you have in your gmail queue (TypingSpeedTrial-vwxyz.doc, where "vwxyz" represents the last five digits of your student number). Then use that document for your next typing speed trials.
Wednesday, October 3, 2007
Please remember that after compilation of a joint mega-essay, each member of your group must post the essay to her or his own blog, adding links, pictures, slideshows, videos or other media.
Monday, October 1, 2007
Here's the breakdown: ...
- Book review 1-nn: ... [+ short title] - first semester book reviews from 01 to 99
- Book review 2-nn: ... [+ short title] - second semester book reviews from 01 to 99
- Book review 1-05: Vampire Killer
Here's a fresh new example based on a not-so-precise heading that I've spotted in the sidebar:
- Should be:
- Book Review 2-01: The Wizard of Oz
For book review labels, please use the usual plural forms without quotation marks:
- "books" &