Monday, March 10, 2008

Primo Travel Slideshow: Hot Off the Press

Project Platypus has once again pointed out a primo site to browse in a post called The Dales Way, tagged "listening, photography, [and] travel" (March 8, 2008). This time it's a slideshow from the Guardian's (a U.K. newspaper's) travel gallery called The Dales Way footpath (© Guardian News and Media Limited 2008).

The images in Kevin Rushby's presentation are beautiful, the countryside idyllic, the soundtrack superb, and the commentary fairly easy to understand for someone who isn't British (<grin>!). About the only drawback in the entire show, and not a serious flaw at that, is that it uses captions only on the last slide to point out where you can get more information about the footpath (The Dales Way Association) and accommodations along the way (updated March 2, 2008).

If you want to read all about Rushby's walking holiday, you can. It's in the Guardian's travel section on Yorkshire (N. England): Walking on eggshells (March 8, 2008).

To get an idea of the general location, zoom in on this map. Then maybe Pukman will drop by and give us a homegrown perspective on that part of the country.
[189 words]

Blogged with Flock

3 comments:

  1. I lived in Yorkshire for 6 years when I was a student and then a research assistant, but I'm afraid I didn't get around as much as I would have liked. I have been up in the Dales, and also on the Pennine Way. It is very beautiful in my eyes, though much of it is rather bleak moorland, and I'm not sure if that is beautiful in everyone's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Rick, thanks for stopping by. Yes, I can imagine the moors looking pretty bleak, especially when the weather turns sour. If I ever get there, with some time on my hands, I'd like to try a bit of the Pennine Way, which Butler (2004) describes as, "the Big One... the toughest, most demanding, and most challenging long-distance walk in Britain" (End to End..., ¶¶1-2).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw The Wales Way slideshow.
    I like many shining pictures and scenery encircled nature.
    I wanna see these with my own eyes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...