Wednesday, April 18, 2012

BR 1-02: I Can Do It!


Now I can do it. Nearly... ([Watanabe,] pp. n-m).

I chose another Puffin picture book, because they're easy to read. This one is about a bear who is learn[ing] to do things on wheels: a tricycle, a bicycle, ....

This book is very short, and too easy for me. I'm going to try something more challenging next time. I recommend harder book[s] for you, too.

If kids learn like this, maybe they will become motor-heads. If President Obama heard this story when he was young, perhaps he was inspired by the "I can..." parts.

Reference

Watanabe, Shigeo. (1984). I Can Do It. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books.

[101 words]

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neither this book (Watanabe, 1984) nor the one I reviewed for Book Review (BR) 1-01 (Fernandes, 1990) have page numbers. For book review one, I used the "n.p." in square brackets to indicate there were no page numbers. For this BR (1-02), I typed "pp. n-m" to indicate what the short reference would look like when the quotation begins on one page (n) and ends on another page (m).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I count book reviews in 10000 words?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Lupan! Thank you for asking.

    A short answer is yes. That's why I put word counts in the lower right corners of the two book reviews that I posted as examples on April 17 (BRs 1-01 & 1-02).

    Please remember, however, that other than the short, juicy quotations at the beginning of book reviews (BRs), and the reference info. at the end, all of the ideas and writing in BRs must be your own. That is, your reviews must be original.

    As the class handout indicated, BRs that you post on your blog this semester should be around 100-200 words in length. My first example the other day (BR 1-01) was a bit short. The second one was barely 100 words, including the short quotation and the reference.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...