Friday, July 13, 2007

Last typing topic for this semester

As I said in a call for typing speed trial topics about a week ago, I want "to post topics for future speed trials... [to enable you] to practice typing about the topic prior to in-class typing speed trials" (Call for TypingSpeedTrial Topics, July 5, 2007).

However, in response to that post, and to another in-class call July 11 - for easy, new topics for the next (and last) regular class meeting (July 18), I got no blog comments and heard no suggestions from you or your classmates.

So, to give those of you who need to practice repeatedly on the next topic before classes begin in order to break the minimum typing speed threshold for this semester (100 words typed in five minutes), I'm announcing the new topic now. Here it is:
  • Blogger blog blogging
If you haven't turned in a timely typing speed trial of over 100 words yet this semester, please collect your thoughts and start practicing on this topic now, so you can meet the typing speed requirement on time next Wed., July 18:
  1. 1st period typing speed trials are due no later than 09:15; &
  2. 2nd period typing speed trials are due no later than 10:55.
I'll resume calling for topics second semester, when the minimum typing speed threshold will rise to 30 words per minute sustained for five minutes. In the mean time, even if you've already surpassed the typing speed threshold for first semester, you should keep practicing with online or computer laboratory typing programs. That way, you may be able to clear the next typing speed hurdle early next semester.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Mr. pab! How are you? Now I write down many words on my blog.
    It's hard. Because I'm sleepy...
    But I'll do my best, give me a unit please !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping me a line, Taiki. I understand that increasing your typing speed in a second or third language is challenging, as is writing a lot either off or online, both in and outside of class.

    I note feedback on a virtual neighbor course on SlideShare, suggesting that "the amount of work required to pass" is not commensurate to the credit earned (World Englishes, Comments and Feedback). That may well be the case here in Writing III/IV, too.

    However, getting credit for a writing course entails more than typing fast and writing a lot. Rather than get credit upon request, students get credit when they have earned it. In this case, I recognize students' efforts distributed over the semester as much as, if not more so than, efforts that they choose to concentrate towards the end.

    Without a well-run race from the start, sprinters aren't marathon contenders. So what's your race plan for second semester?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...