Saturday, July 7, 2007

Writing Skills Conceptualization


Discussing various concerns about accuracy and fluency of students' writing, including concerns about the public nature of mistakes on blogs, has once again challenged me to reflect on what writing is all about. I recall pointing out in a presentation at the recent JALT CALL [conference] with Mr. Tomei (June 2007), that writing for communicative and community-building purposes distinguishes Writing III from other courses focusing primarily on demonstrations of language knowledge or proficiency.

In retrospect, I feel that we could have done more to emphasize life-skills both manifested in, and requiring, written communication skills - computer-mediated and linguistic. These skills would include relationship forming, community-building, informing, negotiating, opining, persuading and more.

Writing Skills
[111 words]

2 comments:

  1. Hello!! I'm Mami. I read teacher's blog. I want to up "Life skills", "Computer skills" and "Language skills". I want to be write more sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Mami!

    I wonder whether you can imagine how glad I am to read comments like yours. It is a pleasure to hear that you read the Writing Studio Blog. Your comments suggests that the blend of skills upon which we focus in the Writing Studio suits students like you well.

    I want to encourage you to continue to share your hopes, insights and plans not only in comments here, but also in more extensive writing on your own blog. You also can spread these ideas via word of mouth to friends & classmates.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...